ST. PETERSBURG — A tree-trimmer was taken to a hospital Friday after he was shocked when his saw touched a power line, fire officials said.
The 25-year-old man was operating a hydraulic lift shortly after 2:30 p.m. at 6351 25th Ave. N when his saw hit the 7200-volt line, according to St. Petersburg police and fire officials. He was working for a local tree-trimming service that police also did not identify.
St. Petersburg Fire Rescue Lt. Phil Whitman said the man remained conscious the entire time, but suffered significant electrocution injuries, including entrance and exit wounds and burns, forcing him to be flown by Bayflite to the burn facility at Tampa General Hospital.
Despite his injuries, the man was able to lower the lift down for responders to remove him from the platform bucket.
"It is no doubt a life-threatening situation, but the fact that he was conscious and alert is a very good sign," Whitman said. "Sometimes people's hearts will stop, but he was alert the whole time."
St. Petersburg police say Duke Energy is trying to restore power to the surrounding area, but it may be down for a couple of hours.