Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. News

Man found dead in barricaded Town 'N Country home where two women were shot

TAMPA — A man shot and injured two women early Thursday before dying by suicide later in the afternoon to end a standoff with deputies at a home in Town 'N Country.

The two women were moved from the home early in the day and were listed in stable condition at a hospital, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said. One of them, 40, was shot in the shoulder and the other, 30, was shot in the leg.

The man, described by neighbors as in his 40s, may have been romantically involved with one of the women, the Sheriff's Office said.

None of the three were immediately identified.

Deputies were still investigating what led up to the shooting at the home in the 6700 block of Ranger Drive in The Cove Community, southwest of Hillsborough Avenue and Sheldon Road.

There was some type of altercation involving people visiting the home before the shots were fired, Chief Deputy Donna Lusczynski told reporters.

Negotiators spoke on and off with the man over five hours, from 7:30 a.m. to 12: 30 p.m., before he stopped communicating. The man's attorney showed up at one point and tried unsuccessfully to get the man to come out.

Deputies used robots in an effort to pinpoint his location in the house, to no avail, then deployed a high-pressure water device to break front door locks and send robots inside. Deputies also sent gas devices inside, but the man didn't emerge.

He was found dead around 1:30 p.m. How he died was not immediately released.

"Our negotiators made every attempt," Lusczynski said. "They talked to him for five hours today to try to get him to surrender himself."

Lusczynski said the man does not have a criminal record and had recently moved into the house.

The incident started with a 911 call about 5:30 a.m. Thursday about gunshots fired. Deputies evacuated some homes nearby.

Frederico Londono, who lives across the street from the home, told reporters he heard four or five loud noises sometime after 5 a.m. but went back to sleep because he didn't think it was gunfire.

By 6 a.m., Londono said, a sheriff's SWAT team was in place, and within an hour he was directed to evacuate. The team had a gun trained on the suspect's house as other neighbors were evacuated.

Londono said law enforcement officers had been called to the house before but he couldn't recall when.

"Unfortunately this time something worse happened," he said.

Staff writer Paul Guzzo contributed to this report. Contact Tony Marrero at Follow @TMarreroTimes.