Advertisement
  1. News

World reacts in horror, disbelief to deadly Manchester arena bombing

Crowds of people wait outside after police avacuated the Arndale Centre on May 23, 2017 in Manchester, England. An explosion occurred at Manchester Arena as concert goers were leaving the venue after Ariana Grande had performed. [Christopher Furlong | Getty Images]
Published May 23, 2017

The world is reacting in horror and disbelief after an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, ended in bloodshed and chaos Monday night.

Shortly after a suicide bomber detonated explosives as concertgoers exited Manchester Arena, the #MissingInManchester hashtag flooded the internet in a desperate hunt to find those still missing.

Manchester's regional government and its mayor, Andy Burnham, are among scores of Twitter users socializing the hashtag with names and photos to help people find family members and friends who remain unaccounted for after the deadly blast.

Those among the missing is Olivia Campbell, a 15-year-old girl who attended the concert with a friend from school. Her mother, Charlotte Campbell, said on Good Morning Britain that Olivia's friend had been found and is being treated in a hospital. But Olivia is still missing. Campbell said she hasn't heard from her daughter since Olivia called home just before the concert.

RELATED STORY: Islamic State group claims responsibility for Manchester blast after Ariana Grande concert

"I've called the hospitals. I've called all the places, the hotels where people said that children have been taken, and I've called the police," Campbell said on the show. "If anyone sees Olivia, lend her your phone, she knows my number."

Many of Grande's fans are young, and British police say that children are among the dead.

Grande, who had just left the stage when the explosion occurred, was unhurt.

An outpouring of support for the victims and their families from across the world has flooded social media over the last several hours.

James Corden, British television host of the Late Late Show, extended his support for the people of Manchester during his show.

"When I think of Manchester, I think of the spirit of the people there," Corden said, "and I'm telling you, a more tight knit group of people you will be hard pressed to find."

President Donald Trump, who is on his first overseas trip, condemned the "evil losers" who carried out the attack.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel says it's "incomprehensible" that someone would target a pop concert to kill and wound people.

Merkel said in a statement that the attack "will only strengthen our determination to keep acting together with our British friends against those who plan and carry out such inhuman deeds. ... I assure people in Britain that Germany stands beside you."

Merkel's spokesman, Steffen Seibert, tweeted: "Our thoughts (and) prayers are with the people in #Manchester affected by the blast. We mourn for the dead (and) hope the injured can recover fully."

Celebrities also offered their support.

Witnesses described the chaotic scene and rush of concertgoers after the explosion as "a stampede."

Andy Holey, who went to the arena to pick up his family, said the blast threw him some 30 feet through a set of doors.

"When I got up and looked around there was about 30 people scattered everywhere, some of them looked dead, they might have been unconscious but there was a lot of fatalities," he said.

"Everyone was screaming and running," Robert Tempkin, 22, told he Times of London. "There were coats and people's phones on the floor. People just dropped everything."

Elena Semino and her husband were waiting by the arena ticket office for her daughter when the explosion went off.

"My husband and I were standing against the wall, luckily, and all of a sudden there was this thing," she told he Guardian. "I can't even describe it. There was this heat on my neck and when I looked up there were bodies everywhere."

Despite wounds to her neck and a leg, Semino dashed into the auditorium in search of her daughter while her husband, who had only a minor injury, stayed behind to help an injured woman. She found her daughter Natalie, 17, and her friends safe.

Questions over the arena's security were also raised in the hours following the blast.

A Czech woman who attended the concert said "there was almost no security check, rather zero. They let us get in without any check if we have anything with us."

Nikola Trochtova told Czech public radio that "the only thing they were interested in was if we had any bottles of water with us. They almost didn't check our bags, they didn't take a look."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ALSO IN THIS SECTION

  1. A Hernando County Sheriff's deputy talks to students in the cafeteria of Brooksville Elementary School in 2018. Earlier this month, the school district put forward a proposal to move away from a contract with the Sheriff and establish its own police force. On Tuesday, it announced it would drop that idea.
    Hernando County Sheriff Al Nienhuis spoke out this week against the proposal.
  2. [RON BORRESEN  |  Times].
    The deadline is Friday to submit your employer’s name for consideration.
  3. Sigfredo Garcia leans back in his chair and whispers to his former longtime girlfriend Katherine Magbanua on Friday, Oct. 11, 2019, in Tallahassee, Fla., after Leon County jurors announced a guilty verdict against him in the murder trial of Dan Markel. ALICIA DEVINE  |  AP
    The case had riveted Florida’s capital as sordid details began to emerge about a messy divorce, tensions with in-laws and child custody battles that culminated in a murder-for-hire plot.
  4. The developers of The Heights say they have reached an agreement with Marriott International to include a 153-room Marriott Moxy Hotel on the first seven floors of a 25-story apartment tower planned on the block two blocks east of the Armature Works. The Heights District
    Plans call for a 153-room hotel that will occupy the first seven floors within a new, mixed-use, 25-story tower.
  5. FILE - In this image released Friday, Oct. 4, 2019, by NASA, astronauts Christina Koch, right, and, Jessica Meir pose for a photo on the International Space Station. NASA has moved up the first all-female spacewalk to Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019, or Friday because of a power system failure at the International Space Station. AP
    Astronauts Christina Koch (cook) and Jessica Meir (mere) will now venture out Thursday or Friday, instead of next Monday.
  6. Taco Bell Tuesday announced it had recalled 2.3 million pounds of its seasoned beef filling.
    The fast food chain announced Tuesday it voluntarily recalled 2.3 million pounds of beef after customers reported fining metal shavings in their food.
  7. Former White House advisor on Russia, Fiona Hill, leaves Capitol Hill in Washington, Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, after testifying before congressional lawmakers as part of the House impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump. MANUEL BALCE CENETA  |  AP
    The aide, Fiona Hill, testified for more than 10 hours on Monday as part of the Democrats’ impeachment probe into Trump’s dealings with Ukraine.
  8. In this photo taken from the Turkish side of the border between Turkey and Syria, in Ceylanpinar, Sanliurfa province, southeastern Turkey, smoke and dust billows from targets in Ras al-Ayn, Syria, caused by bombardment by Turkish forces, Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019. Turkish artillery on Tuesday pounded suspected Syrian Kurdish positions near the town in northeast Syria amid reports that Kurdish fighters had retaken the town as Turkey pressed ahead with a military incursion that has drawn widespread condemnation. CAVIT OZGUL         |  AP
    Russia moved quickly to further entrench its role as a power broker after President Donald Trump ordered the pullout of American forces in northeastern Syria.
  9. Timothy Farmer is accused of intentionally driving his car into a New Port Richey house. Pasco Sheriff's Office
    Deputies said Timothy Farmer backed his Ford Explorer into the home, then resisted arrest.
  10. Judge Caryl E. Delano, chief judge of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the middle district of Florida Caryl E. Delano
    Caryl E. Delano will serve four years as chief judge of one of the nation’s busiest bankruptcy courts.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement