WESLEY CHAPEL— Northwood Palms Boulevard has been closed since May for emergency sewer repair on a leaking pipe, and residents are counting down the days for it to reopen.
For local residents, Breakers Drive has been the only available option through the neighborhood during the road closure. For everyone else traveling on County Line Road or State Road 56, the only alternative is to use the ever-busy Bruce B. Downs Boulevard.
When the Pasco County Utilities operations and maintenance department announced the repair work in May, it estimated it taking four months. That means it should have been done in September.
But we’re two months past that, and it’s still not yet finished.
In September, the county updated the schedule, setting a completion date of mid-October and said it was employing additional shifts for contractors to expedite the project.
But even with more manpower, the county postponed the date again, this time to mid-November.
Why is that, Doc?
I’d thought you never ask.
A pipe near Coral Springs Drive that runs north under Northwood Palms Boulevard needed more repair after inspections showed failed sections of pipe and severe infiltration of groundwater and sand into the collection system.
The pipe rehabilitation resulted in an extremely slow and difficult preparation process for the repair, according to the Pasco County Utilities department.
The good news is that as of Nov. 4, the county said it is on track to meet its mid-November completion date. According to county spokeswoman Tambrey Laine, that could mean as early as the end of this week.
TRAFFIC UPDATES AND CLOSURES:
- Lane closures through Friday for State Road 50 (Cortez Boulevard) widening from Windmere Road/Bronson Boulevard to U.S. 98 from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Interstate 275 operational improvements from west of State Road 60 (Exit 39) to Lois Avenue (Exit 40B) causing lane closures through Friday from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- US Business 41 (Highland Avenue & W Violet Street) roadway/pedestrian improvements from Florida Avenue to Ida Street causes lane closures through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- U.S. 41 repaving from Bullfrog Creek to Denver Street brings intermittent lane closures through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- SR 60 operational improvements at State Road 589 (Veteran’s Expressway) cause nightly lane closures through Saturday from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Lane closures through Friday on SR 60 under I-275 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- County Road 580 (Sam Allen Road) widening from east of Paul Buchman Highway (State Road 39A) to Park Road causes lane closures with flagging operations through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- County Road 587 (West Shore Boulevard) from Lemon Street to Gray Street causes lane closures through Friday from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- County Road 672 (Big Bend Road) bridge replacement from Dickman Road to Wyandotte Road causes lane closures 24 hours a day through Saturday
- Interstate 275 interchange improvements at 22nd Avenue S (southbound only) cause lane closures through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Gateway Expressway (new tolled roadway system) updates:
- I-275 from south of Gandy Boulevard (Exit 28) to Fourth Street N (Exit 32) causes lane closures through Saturday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-275 northbound Exit 30 ramp to westbound State Road 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) and westbound 118th Avenue (County Road 296) causes lane closures through Saturday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- U.S. 19 frontage roads from 110th Avenue N to 126th Avenue N causes lane closures through Saturday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) entrance ramp to the Bayside Bridge causes lane closures through Saturday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) from State Road 688 (Ulmerton Road) to 49th Street N causes lane closures through Saturday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) from 28th Street N to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street N causes lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alternate U.S. 19 (Fourth Avenue N) repaving from Fifth Avenue N to Third Street N causes lane closures through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alt. U.S. 19 (Myrtle Avenue) repaving from SR 60 (Chestnut Street) to Mohawk Street causes intermittent lane closures through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- SR 679 (Pinellas Bayway Structure E) bridge replacement and repaving from north of Yacht Club Lane to SR 682 cause nightly lane closures through Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- SR 682 (54th Avenue S) repaving from U.S. 19 to 41st Street S causes nightly lane closures through Friday from 7:30 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- SR 688, SR 586 and SR 580 intersection lighting improvements through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. at various locations:
- SR 688 (Ulmerton Road) between Hamlin Boulevard in Largo and Feather Sound Drive in St. Petersburg
- SR 586 (Curlew Road) between Alt 19/Bayshore in Dunedin and Tampa Road in Oldsmar
- SR 580 between Patricia Avenue in Dunedin and McMullen Booth Road in Palm Harbor
- SR 699 (Gulf Boulevard) drainage improvements from Walsingham Road to Fourth Avenue N causes lane closures with flagging operations all day through Friday
Monique Welch is a staff writer at the Tampa Bay Times, and the voice behind Dr. Delay. Send your traffic concerns, questions, and pictures of roadway troubles you spot in your travels around the Tampa Bay area to email@example.com. Follow @AskDrDelay.