DUNEDIN — Everyone hates potholes.
Besides the annoyance of a rough ride, they can cause damage to your vehicle if you’re not careful.
Typically, the quickest solution is to temporarily patch the pothole to make it drivable for the day-to-day commute until the road can be repaired long-term.
But one reader, Gary Kempf, thinks Edgewater Drive has enough potholes and is ready to be resurfaced.
“The road is filled with potholes and constantly being patched, which makes it worse,” he wrote in an email to the Doc.
“It’s a terrible road especially going south, but it is a heavily-driven tourist and residential road for commuters every day."
The Doc has yet to travel along this major artery. But it appears that the Florida Department of Transportation must agree with you that something needs to be done about it.
The agency is currently in the beginning design phase of a repaving project for Edgewater Drive (Alt. 19) along the 2.4 mile stretch from Mohawk Street to north of Tilden Street/Skinner Boulevard.
This is the part of the two-lane road that separates Clearwater and Dunedin.
Construction for the $1.1 million project is expected to begin late this summer and paving isn’t likely to occur until late 2020 to early 2021, according to Kris Carson with the Florida Department of Transportation.
The agency has not released much information on the project or anticipated lane closures at this time but expects some modifications.
“The plans for the project require the contractor to maintain two-way traffic,” Carson said.
“However, the travel lanes will be reduced and the traffic will be traveling adjacent to the resurfacing operations.”
On a two-way road, the thought of reducing travel lanes yells more traffic to the Doc, but we’ll just have to see how this plays out.
Traffic updates and road closures:
- 24-hour lane closures continue through Saturday for U.S. 98 new bridge construction of Suncoast Parkway 2, a half-mile on each side of Suncoast Parkway (State Road 589)
- Intermittent lane closures through Friday for State Road 50 (Cortez Blvd) widening from Windmere Road/Bronson Boulevard to U.S. 301 from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Lane closures through Friday for Interstate 275 operational improvements from west of State Road 60 (Exit 39) to Lois Avenue (Exit 40B) from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- I-75 northbound rest area reconstruction at mile marker 238 Rest area is closed until spring 2021
- Nightly (northbound only) lane closures through Friday for I-75 repaving from Manatee County Line to north of County Road 672 (Big Bend Road) from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Expect intermittent lane closures for U.S. 41 repaving from Bullfrog Creek to Denver Street through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- U.S. 92 (Hillsborough Ave) repaving and drainage improvements from Nebraska Avenue to N 15th Street cause 24-hour lane closures through Saturday
- Nebraska Avenue drainage installation from Giddens Avenue to south Hillsborough Avenue causes 24-hour lane closures through Saturday *Closures associated with the Hillsborough Avenue (US 92) repaving project
- Expect lane closures on SR 60 under I-275 through Friday from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- SR 60 (Kennedy Boulevard) traffic signal upgrades at Armenia Avenue and Brevard Avenue cause nightly lane closures through Friday from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- SR 582 (Fowler Avenue) median improvements at 12th Street cause lane closures through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- SR 674 (Sun City Center Boulevard) traffic signal improvements at Sun City Center Plaza/Trinity Lakes Drive cause lane closures of left-turn lanes through Friday from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- CR 580 (Sam Allen Road) widening from east of Paul Buchman Highway (SR 39A) to Wilder Road causes lane closures with flagging operations through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Lane closures on CR 587 (West Shore Boulevard) at I-275 through Friday from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- CR 672 (Big Bend Road) bridge replacement from Dickman Road to Wyandotte Road causes 24-hour lane closures through Saturday
- U.S. 41 (Land O’ Lakes Boulevard) repaving from Ehren Cutoff to Tower Road/Carricker Road causes lane closures through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Gateway Expressway (new tolled roadway system) updates:
- Lane closures through Saturday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Interstate 275 from south of Gandy Boulevard (Exit 28) to Fourth Street N (Exit 32), I-275 northbound Exit 30 ramp to westbound State Road 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) and westbound 118th Avenue (County Road 296)
- Lane closures through Saturday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. on U.S. 19 Frontage Roads from 110th Avenue N to 126th Avenue N, on the SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) entrance ramp to the Bayside Bridge, SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) from SR 688 (Ulmerton Road) to 49th Street N, SR 686 (Roosevelt Boulevard) from 28th Street N to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street N
- Alternate U.S. 19 (Bay Pines Boulevard) bridge repairs over Long Bayou cause (eastbound only) lane closures through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SR 688, SR 586 and SR 580 intersection lighting improvements cause intermittent lane closures through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at various locations:
- SR 688 (Ulmerton Road) between Hamlin Boulevard in Largo and Feather Sound Drive in St. Petersburg
- SR 586 (Curlew Road) between Alt 19/Bayshore in Dunedin and Tampa Road in Oldsmar
- Expect lane closures with flagging operations from Second Avenue North to First Avenue North for SR 699 (Gulf Boulevard) drainage improvements through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Monique Welch is a staff writer at the Tampa Bay Times, and the voice behind Dr. Delay. Send your traffic concerns, questions, and pictures of roadway troubles you spot in your travels around the Tampa Bay area to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow @AskDrDelay.