• Check out PolitiFact.com this morning to see how closely Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders stayed to the truth during their debate last night in Brooklyn.
• On tampabay.com/politics today: Gov. Rick Scott will likely act today on a sweeping overhaul to the state's mental health system passed by lawmakers last month. The bill requires better cooperation within each of the state's counties to ensure that people have access to the right kinds of mental health and substance abuse treatment. The long-term goal: Reducing strain on the state's mental hospitals, jails and prisons. The deadline for Scott to sign or veto SB12 is Saturday.
• The Tampa Tiger Bay Club will hold a debate today previewing one of the most intriguing races in Hillsborough County: Clerk of the Circuit Court Pat Frank, who is battling County Commissioner Kevin Beckner for the Democratic nomination in the clerk's race. They'll debate each other and Republican candidate Eric Seidel, a former TV news reporter and consumer lawyer. The debate will start at 11:30 a.m. at the Chester H. Ferguson Law Center Ferguson Law Center in downtown Tampa. Follow Times correspondent William March on Twitter (@WilliamEMarch) for live coverage.
• New complaints have popped up against Tampa's HOA Problem Solutions, which the Tampa Bay Times recently reported was under investigation by Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi's office. Read real estate reporter Susan Taylor Martin's full report about how the company is accused of taking advantage of the foreclosure process this morning at tampabay.com/money.
• As we live more of our lives online, the companies we trust with our digital secrets are increasingly clashing with authorities who want access to the messages, pictures, financial records and other data we accumulate in electronic form. Microsoft opened a new front in the battle over digital privacy this week, suing the Justice Department over its use of court orders requiring the company to turn over customer files stored in its computer centers — often without notifying the customer involved. It's the latest in a series of legal challenges brought by Microsoft and some of its leading competitors. Apple recently fought a high-profile battle over the FBI's demand for help unlocking an encrypted iPhone in San Bernardino, California, and it's continuing to challenge similar demands in other cases.
• The Florida jobs report will be out at around 10 a.m. today. Check in with tampabay.com/money around that time to read about what's new with the state's job market.
• As the USF Bulls prepare for Saturday's spring football game, they are counting on a rebuilt offensive line as a key to the season ahead. For more, check tampabay.com/sports this morning.
• Former Gators star Vernon Hargreaves lived many places growing up as the son of a coach. But as he prepares for the NFL draft, the former Wharton High standout considers Tampa home. He'll explain why this morning at tampabay.com/sports.
• Before his show tonight at Tampa's Straz Center, actor and comedian David Cross talked to pop culture critic Jay Cridlin about Arrested Development, Mr. Show and why he finally came to Florida to perform.
Keep up with Tampa Bay’s top headlines
Subscribe to our free DayStarter newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
• Here are the top things to do today around Tampa Bay, including including country singer Chris Janson at the Dallas Bull and Cross performing standup in Tampa.
• Ready to plan your weekend? Check out the recommendations from our critics and writers on our weekend planner. From Spamalot to the Clearwater Beach Sugar Sand Festival to the huge Mainsail Art Festival, there's a lot to choose from this week.