1. News

Fifth doctor dies of Ebola as more staffers are added

Sierra Leone

Fifth doctor dies of Ebola as more staffers are added

A doctor in Sierra Leone has died of Ebola, the fifth local doctor to die of the disease there, authorities said Monday, as UNICEF said it was doubling its staff in the three West African nations hard hit by the deadly virus.

The death of Dr. Godfrey George, medical superintendent of Kambia Government Hospital in northern Sierra Leone, was a blow to efforts to keep desperately needed health workers safe in a country ravaged by the world's worst Ebola outbreak.

At the United Nations in New York, Ebola coordinator Dr. Peter Salama of UNICEF said the U.N. children's agency would double its staff from 300 to 600 in Guinea, Liberia and in Sierra Leone, where children make up 20 percent of all Ebola cases. About 4,000 children have been orphaned by Ebola, he said.

"Schools are closed, children are confined to their homes and discouraged to play with other children," he said.

"Death is all around them," Salama added.

The World Health Organization says the disease has killed some 5,000 people and infected more than twice as many.

Sierra Leone's health care system was already fragile before the Ebola epidemic because of past conflict and a lack of resources. The country had two doctors for every 100,000 people in 2010, compared with about 240 doctors for the same number of people in the United States, according to WHO.


Shark clamps onto surfer's hand in attack

A surfer escaped a tiger shark attack with only some injuries to her fingers and hand after her friend punched the animal until it relented.

McKenzie Clark was paddling her surfboard in murky waters in the Big Island's Keawaeli Bay on Friday when the shark emerged, she told West Hawaii Today.

Brian Wargo, her friend, saw that Clark and her board were on top of the shark's back. It clamped onto her hand and board.

She freed her hand and rolled off the board, but the shark kept the board between its teeth, towing Clark by the leash that attaches to a surfer's ankle. Wargo grabbed the dorsal fin with both hands, pulled the shark off the board and started punching it between the gills and dorsal fin. "About the sixth hit, I felt the shark shudder and turn away from her," he said.

Clark's fingers and hand required 20 stitches.

Tulsa, Okla.

Genealogy site adds 3.2M Indian records

When 5.2 million people identified themselves as having American Indian or Alaskan Native ancestry on 2010 U.S. Census forms, some found the tally low.

The apparent undercount had nothing to do with how the data was collected. Millions of people across the country didn't realize they had American Indian blood, so surveys went unmarked. To help people with Indian blood trace their roots, genealogy website has partnered with the Oklahoma Historical Society to add records of more than 570 tribes, including those from which most Americans with Indian blood descend. About 3.2 million records have been added.

The records — including Census counts, treaties, land allotments, marriage certificates and citizenship documents — are available at different price levels.


Father tortures alleged rapist, surrenders

A father in India's capital, New Delhi, is facing murder charges after he invited his daughter's alleged rapist to dinner and then tortured and killed the man.

The 36-year-old father, who has not been identified, reportedly burned the 45-year-old man's genitals with heated tongs and strangled him Friday, then turned himself in to police, the Indian Express reported. The murdered man, a medical supplies salesperson who lived in the same building, found the 14-year-old girl alone and allegedly raped her two months ago. Police say the father had been planning the murder since the day of the alleged rape.

Santa Ana, Calif.

Hit-and-runner held in deaths of three girls

A 31-year-old man arrested on suspicion of felony hit-and-run driving in a Halloween collision in Santa Ana that left three girls dead was driving on a suspended license, court records show.

Three months ago, Jaquinn Bell was convicted of hit-and-run driving and driving under the influence. He was sentenced to 10 days in jail. In the crash on Halloween night, police said Bell was driving with his two children. Twin 13-year-old sisters Lexia and Lexandra Perez and their friend, Andrea Gonzales, 13, were struck.

Times wires