Advertisement
  1. News

Saudi Arabia hajj disaster death toll is at least 2,121

Published Oct. 20, 2015

United Arab Emirates

Saudi Arabia hajj disaster death toll is at least 2,121

The crush and stampede that struck the hajj last month in Saudi Arabia killed at least 2,121 pilgrims, a new Associated Press tally showed Monday, after officials in the kingdom met to discuss the tragedy. The toll keeps rising from the Sept. 24 disaster outside Mecca as individual countries identify bodies and work to determine the whereabouts of hundreds of pilgrims still missing. The official Saudi toll of 769 people killed and 934 injured has not changed since Sept. 26, and officials have yet to address the discrepancy. Crown Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdul Aziz, who is also the kingdom's interior minister, oversaw a meeting late Sunday about the disaster in Mina, according to the official Saudi Press Agency. The agency's report did not mention any official response to the rising death toll. The AP count comes from state media reports and officials' comments from 30 of the over 180 countries that sent citizens to the hajj. The previous deadliest-ever incident at hajj was a 1990 stampede that killed 1,426 people.

Washington

Trump, Carson request Secret Service agents

The U.S. Secret Service says top two GOP presidential hopefuls Donald Trump and Ben Carson have requested protection from the taxpayer-funded agency. But they would not receive it until Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson consults with five senior members of Congress. It's not unusual for candidates to ask for and receive protection from the Secret Service before the party's presidential nominee is chosen. President Barack Obama received protection in May 2007, 18 months before he was elected the nation's first black president. Both Trump and Carson have made controversial remarks about ethnic and religious minorities. Trump called Mexican immigrants rapists and murderers, while Carson has said he would not be comfortable with a Muslim president.

Britain

Passports to be seized to fight extremism

British Prime Minister David Cameron seeks to seize passports from young people at risk of traveling abroad to join groups like the Islamic State and to force those convicted of extremist offenses to register with authorities. Britain has already been able to seize passports of those under 16, but will now be able to seize documents of 16- and 17-year-olds. Cameron said Monday that an extra $7.7 million will be plowed into moderate Muslim groups and charities this year because "the stakes are rising.

Elsewhere

Columbus, Ohio: The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction said Monday that the state is putting off executions until at least 2017 as it struggles to obtain supplies of lethal injection drugs. Execution dates for 11 inmates scheduled to die next year and one scheduled for early 2017 were pushed back.

Mexico: In a rebuke to Mexico, the United States has decided to withhold $5 million in drug war aid because of continued human rights violations, officials confirmed Monday.

Yemen: Yemen has accepted an invitation from U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon for talks with Shiite Houthi rebels at the end of this month to discuss the implementation of a U.N. resolution aimed at ending heavy fighting, a spokesman said Monday.

Times wires