SYNAPSE CHALLENGE WINNER: Metro Development Group, the key developer of Crystal Lagoons in the Epperson Community in Wesley Chapel, judged and selected the winner of its Bay Area Tech Innovation Challenge on Dec. 8, which it launched to find the Best Wearable Technology for the lagoon.
It was the final phase of the Synapse Challenge, hosted in partnership with the Tampa nonprofit Synapse Florida. The challenge invited local teams and individuals to create a high-tech wearable device that can: allow efficient entry to the lagoon; give users quick and seamless access to the Lagoon's waterslide, obstacle course and other recreational prepaid features; allow users to pay for food and drinks; and provide the lagoon management team with payment tools, metrics and flow patterns.
The winning technology was created by Team Blitz, led by Ibrahim Allam, who just graduated from the University of Tampa's master entrepreneurial program. Allam conceived the idea and recruited two other men to help develop and transition the idea into a waterproof band. The team won $10,000 for the band, which beat out 24 other teams vying for the prize.
Allam will work with Synapse and Metro to further develop the band, app and timeline for production.
FAMOUS TATE RECOGNIZED: Famous Tate Appliance and Bedding Centers has been listed in the Consumer Reports list of "Best Places to Buy a Large Appliance," edging out Amazon for the No. 2 ranking. The local, independent retailer received a score of 93 (perfect score is 100). The Tampa-based company has 11 stores in the Tampa Bay area. In Pasco, there are stores in Lutz, Wesley Chapel and Port Richey. For information about the ranking, visit the Consumer Reports website at consumerreports.org/appliance-stores/best-places-to-buy-large-appliances/.
COMPUMAX MOVES: Compumax has moved to its new location at 12307 U.S 301, Dade City, located in the Landings Plaza. For information, call the computer store at (352) 521-4093.
CHAMBER HOLDS BUSINESS BREAKFAST: The Greater Dade City Chamber of Commerce recently held its monthly business breakfast at Edwinola assisted living facility in downtown Dade City. Edwinola provided breakfast and the chamber welcomed new Edwinola executive director Cathy Powell. Superintendent of Schools Kurt Browning spoke. New chamber members Valerie Rochoon, CEO of Rocycle, and Russ Taylor, owner of Out of Our Hands Art Gallery, spoke about their businesses and services through the chamber's new "Business Wins" segment. Meetings are on the third Tuesday of each month. To RSVP for upcoming breakfasts, or to become involved with the chamber, call Jo Uber at (352) 567-3769.
CHAMBER BUSINESS BREAKFAST: The Greater Zephyrhills Chamber of Commerce will host its business breakfast at 7 a.m. Jan. 3 at Golden Corral, 6855 Gall Blvd., Zephyrhills. The cost is $8 for members, $10 visitors. The speaker is Dr. Chris Schriver of the Frank Clinic of Chiropractic. The sponsor is Nicoletti Law Firm. Call the chamber at (813) 782-1913 or visit zephyrhillschamber.org.
SEMINAR AND LUNCH: A free seminar, The High Cost of Low Living, will be presented at 11 a.m. Jan. 10 at Living Food Bakery and Cafe, 38201 10th Ave., Zephyrhills. The program will be presented by authors and lecturers Duane and Nancy McEndree, known for giving health and lifestyle seminars throughout the U.S. The McEndrees are the founders of the International Institute of Original Medicine, an online accredited naturopathic college. Lunch will be available. Menu selection and seating will be at 10:30 a.m. Seating is limited and registration is required. Call (813) 715-0622.
Keep up with all things Pasco County
Subscribe to our free Pasco Times newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
Networking and mixers
• Trinity Positive Business Network: 8:30 a.m. Mondays at Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road, New Port Richey. Call Kelly Steen at (813) 388-8726.
• Women's Connection of New Port Richey: 11:30 a.m. the second Monday of each month (September through May) at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $15 and includes lunch and a speaker. To RSVP, call Linda at (727) 856-4042 or Betty, (727) 807-6760.
• BNI Outlook to Success: 7:30 a.m. Tuesdays at Verizon Event Center, 8718 Trouble Creek Road, New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call (727) 815-7744.
• Suncoast Women in Networking: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month at Beef O' Brady's, 5546 Main St., New Port Richey. Suncoast WIN is a group of professional businesswomen. Membership is $10 per year. Call Linda McFarland at (727) 863-6151.
• Rotary Club of Lutz: 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Heritage Harbor Golf and Country Club, 19502 Heritage Harbor Parkway, Lutz. Cost is $12, includes lunch and speaker. Call (813) 857-7089 or visit lutzrotary.org.
• West Pasco Business Association Monday Lunch Chapter: Noon to 1 p.m. Mondays, Johnny Brusco's, 10730 State Road 54, Trinity. The group is made up of professionals who promote each other's businesses. Visit wpba.biz.
• West Pasco Business Association Tuesday Evening Chapter: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the Brix 33, 8351 State Road 54, New Port Richey. The group is made up of professionals who promote each other's businesses. Visit wpba.biz.
• West Pasco Business Association Friday Breakfast Chapter: 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Fridays at the Oasis Coffee Spot, 9213 Little Road, New Port Richey. The group is made up of professionals who promote each other's businesses. Visit wpba.biz.
• Coffee First: 8 to 9 a.m. the fourth Tuesday of the month at First National Bank of Pasco, 23613 State Road 54, Lutz. The event is hosted by the Central Pasco Chamber of Commerce in partnership with First National Bank of Pasco. Free and open to the public. (813) 607-2555.
• East Pasco Networking Group: 7:30 p.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at IHOP, 13100 U.S. 301, Dade City. Annual dues are $25. Nils Lenz, (813) 782-9491.
• Trinity Business Association: 6 to 7:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Fox Hollow Country Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway. Networking begins at 5:30 p.m., meeting starts at 6 p.m. Guests welcome. Cost is $12. Call Ginny Pierce at (727) 433-4073.
• BNI Platinum: 7:15 a.m. Wednesdays at Heritage Harbor Golf & Country Club, 19502 Heritage Harbor Parkway, Lutz. Call Bob Nixon at (813) 263-5632.
• Pasco Business Connections: 7:30 a.m. Wednesdays at the Broken Yolk, 3350 Grand Blvd., Holiday. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wednesday Morning Networking Group: 7:30 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month at Hungry Harry's Family Bar-B-Que, 3116 Land O' Lakes Blvd. A short networking presentation will be followed by a chance for all attendees to do a 30-second commercial. Cost is $7 in advance for members, $10 for guests, and includes breakfast. Call the Central Pasco Chamber of Commerce at (813) 909-2722.
• Keep It Local-Trinity Chapter: 8 a.m. Wednesdays at Havana Dreamers Cafe, 3104 Town Ave., Trinity. (813) 405-7815.
• Pasco Aging Network: 8 to 10 a.m. the second Wednesday of each month. Location changes each month. For information or to RSVP, visit pascoagingnetwork.org. PAN is a coalition of agencies and private providers of elder services in Pasco.
• Keep It Local-Wesley Chapel Chapter: 8:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Lexington Oaks Golf & Country Club, 26133 Lexington Oaks Blvd., Wesley Chapel. (813) 405-7815.
• Keep It Local-Christian Women's Network Chapter: 9:30 a.m. Wednesdays at the Direction Connection, 2632 U.S. 19, Holiday. (813) 405-7815.
• Free Networking International: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays at Cantina Laredo, 2000 Piazza Ave., Building 4, Suite 170, Wesley Chapel (at the Shops at Wiregrass). Attendees pay for their own lunch. Call Martine Duncan at (813) 929-6816.
• Keep It Local-New Port Richey Chapter: 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays at the Direction Connection, 2632 U.S. 19, Holiday. (813) 405-7815.
• Keep It Local-Odessa/Trinity Chapter: 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Seven Springs Golf & Country Club, 3535 Trophy Blvd., Trinity. (813) 405-7815.
• West Pasco Business Network: noon to 1 p.m. Wednesdays at Denny's, 12105 U.S. 19, Hudson. Call Pete Petrignani at (727) 967-3106.
• BNI Eagles: 7:15 a.m. Thursdays at Spartan Manor, 6121 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey. Cost is $10 and includes breakfast. Call Clay Henderson at (727) 534-5191.
• BNI Referral Connection: 7:15 to 9 a.m. Thursdays at Vallarta's Mexican Restaurant, 22948 State Road 54, Lutz. Call Rob Hamilton at (813) 431-5887.
• Christian Business Connections of Central Pasco: 7:45 to 9:15 a.m. Thursdays at Quail Hollow Golf Club, 6225 Old Pasco Road, Wesley Chapel. Cost of $9 per meeting, includes breakfast and beverages. Annual membership dues are $100. Call Rene Van Hout at (813) 300-7511.
• Trinity/West Pasco Chapter of NPI: 7:45 a.m. Thursdays at The Grand Plaza Café, 4040 Little Road, New Port Richey. Call Rob Marlowe at (727) 847-2424.
• Networking For Your Success: 8 a.m. Thursdays at Lexington Oaks Country Club, 2615 Lexington Oaks Blvd., Wesley Chapel. Cost is $5 and includes a continental breakfast. Annual membership is $79. Call Matt at (813) 782-1777.
• Women-n-Charge: 11:30 a.m. on the first Friday of each month, Plantation Palms Golf Club, 23253 Plantation Palms Blvd., Land O' Lakes. The cost is $15 for members and $18 for guests who RSVP by Monday prior to the meeting. Tuesday and after, the cost is $20 for members and $23 for guests. To RSVP, visit women-n-charge.com/meetings/. For information, call Judy at (813) 600-9848.
• Women of Wesley Chapel (WOW): 7:30 to 9 a.m. first Friday of each month, Beach House Assisted Living and Memory Care at Wiregrass Ranch, 30070 State Road 56, Wesley Chapel. WOW is the North Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce's women only networking group. The cost is $5, includes breakfast and networking. To RSVP, call (813) 994-8534 or email email@example.com.
Contact Phyllis Day at firstname.lastname@example.org or (352) 848-1408. Follow @pdaytimes.