Advertisement
  1. Sponsored Content

Hereditary hearing loss? No problem, says Audibel

Patient with inherited hearing loss can finally hear his wife and grandchildren again.
Audibel hearing aid specialist John Scott, HIS (right), poses with patient Paul Powers during a recent visit. Find your nearest Audibel at FloridaHearing.com.
Audibel hearing aid specialist John Scott, HIS (right), poses with patient Paul Powers during a recent visit. Find your nearest Audibel at FloridaHearing.com. [ Audibel ]
Published Jun. 16
Updated Jun. 16

Hearing loss is just an age-related problem for older folks, right? Think again.

While most cases of hearing loss occur as a natural part of the aging process in adults 50 and older, 35-55 percent of age-related hearing loss is actually genetic, according to recent studies. In fact, one out of 333 people is born with significant hearing impairment.

Hereditary hearing loss happens when an individual inherits a mutated gene. About 70 percent of these mutations are non-syndromic, meaning the family member with hearing loss does not have any other symptoms; the other 30 percent are syndromic – the person has other symptoms such as blindness or heart problems.

For Paul Powers, hearing loss was practically a birthright, stemming from a long family tree on his mother’s side. “My mother wore hearing aids, my 102-year-old uncle wears hearing aids and my younger brother also wears them,” Paul shared.

Paul’s inherited genes caused his hearing loss to worsen with age. He began having trouble understanding his wife and grandchildren and started to feel isolated from conversations happening around him. “It was particularly frustrating when I was in a crowd or a meeting because I couldn’t understand anyone, which in turn, would make me feel less engaged,” he reflected.

Paul knew he had to take action and become the next family member to face his hearing loss head-on.

During his initial consultation and examination at Audibel, a friendly hearing aid specialist conducted an audiometric test of Paul’s ears, clearly explaining the results with a detailed audiogram. Paul was then fitted with a pair of state-of-the-art wireless hearing aids, which he wore during a convenient 45-day trial period with weekly appointments, so he could familiarize himself with the devices.

Paul couldn’t be happier with the results. “I feel much more confident in myself, and I can finally hear my wife and grandchildren!” Paul beamed. “The entire staff truly cared about me and worked with me for several months to improve my hearing. They really wanted to help me.”

Like Paul, you can improve your quality of life through better hearing. All 27 convenient Audibel Hearing Centers throughout the Tampa Bay area offer a free hearing screening with no obligation, as well as a unique 45-day trial on most hearing aids.

Your journey to better hearing begins today: Call your nearest Audibel Hearing Aid Center to schedule your complimentary hearing screening. Visit FloridaHearing.com for more information.