HOUSTON — The first woman to accuse Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson of sexual assault and harassment in a lawsuit spoke publicly on Tuesday, alleging he terrorized her and that he needs to be held accountable for his actions.
At a news conference, Ashley Solis said she was assaulted and traumatized when she tried to give Watson a massage in March 2020.
“I come forward now so that Deshaun Watson does not assault another woman. I am seeking justice not just on behalf of myself but for all survivors. This is about having my voice heard,” a tearful Solis said as she read a statement. Watson has been accused of sexual assault or harassment in lawsuits filed by 22 women.
Solis’ description of her encounter with Watson, in which he allegedly touched her with his penis during the massage session, mirrors the accusations made in the other lawsuits. They accuse Watson of exposing himself, touching them with his penis or kissing them against their will while he got a massage. At least one woman has alleged Watson forced her to perform oral sex. All of the women who have sued Watson are either licensed massage therapists or worked in a spa or similar business.
Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, has called the allegations “meritless” and questioned the claims against Watson, alleging they were made following a failed attempt to blackmail his client for $30,000.
Solis said that she has panic attacks, anxiety, depression and is no longer comfortable working as a massage therapist.
Hardin alleged that Tony Buzbee, who is representing the accusers, sought “$100,000 in hush money” on behalf of Solis before she filed her lawsuit. Hardin’s statement included copies of February emails between Buzbee’s firm and Scott Gaffield, an attorney for Watson, discussing the $100,000 settlement.
“We did not think that the facts showed that Deshaun did anything wrong with their client. We believed then — and fully believe now — that Deshaun learned a lesson about putting himself in this type of situation by interacting with people he does not know,” Gaffield said.
Also Tuesday, an attorney with Buzbee’s firm read a letter written by another of the accusers. In the letter, Lauren Baxley called Watson “a predator with power.”
Baxley alleged he touched her with his penis multiple times during a massage session. She said that after the session, she felt shame and terror that no one would believe her.
“There is trauma associated with unwanted sexual contact and assault in a place that’s meant to bring peace and therapy, but there are even deeper terrors that you have brought into my life,” Baxley said.
In a recent email to season ticket holders, Texans chairman Cal McNair, whose family owns the team, said the team takes “these allegations very seriously.”
“While we await the conclusion of these investigations, we express our strong stance against any form of sexual assault. Our family and the entire Houston Texans organization are deeply troubled by any form of abuse and we condemn this type of behavior,” McNair said.
The NFL has said it’s investigating the allegations against Watson.
Watson is one of the league’s top quarterbacks and led the NFL in yards passing last season. He signed a four-year, $156 million contract extension with the Texans last offseason, but he became unhappy with the direction of the team as Houston sunk to 4-12. Watson requested a trade in January.
Teams could technically still engage the Texans in conversations, there’s basically no chance any team is going to give up anything of value for a player who is under criminal and league investigation.
Houston police announced last week that someone has filed a criminal report which has led to an investigation.
Even without a criminal conviction, the NFL has the power to suspend Watson or any player that violates the league’s code of conduct.
• • •
Sign up for the Bucs RedZone newsletter to get updates and analysis on the latest team and NFL news from Bucs beat writer Joey Knight.