Advertisement
  1. Sports

Pickleball gaining in popularity at New Port Richey Recreation and Aquatic Center

Daryel Jenks, 63, serves during a game of pickleball recently in New Port Richey. “I love the exercise this provides,” he said.
Daryel Jenks, 63, serves during a game of pickleball recently in New Port Richey. “I love the exercise this provides,” he said.
Published Apr. 16, 2013

NEW PORT RICHEY — Pickleball is alive and well in New Port Richey.

The popular senior game that is well known throughout Arizona and other parts of Florida is steadily growing in popularity at the New Port Richey Recreation and Aquatic Center. On an average day, the gym is packed with up to eight doubles teams battling it out in round-robin style format.

"It's a game that anyone who has played tennis, racquetball or badminton in their past can pick up very easily," pickleball league organizer John Hilliard said. "I found out about the sport on the Internet, played in a few tournaments and haven't stopped since. I think people like the competition, the exercise and the fun atmosphere of a pickleball game."

The sport was first introduced to the aquatic center about a year and a half ago after two employees took a shot at a Guinness World Record by playing the first 24-hour pickleball match. After appealing to Guinness four times, Justin Lawrence and Jeffrey Baker eventually found a home for their record with the World Record Academy. That success helped spark what has become a pickleball revolution at the center.

At the Villages, a massive retirement community just south of Ocala, pickleball has nearly replaced shuffleboard as the favorite sport. With more than 100 courts, the community hosts major tournaments that attract players from all over the state, but Hilliard, 65, is happy just to have something closer to his Port Richey home.

"We're trying to get some round-robin tournaments going here, but you need around 12 teams ideally," Hilliard said. "I think more people will continue to come out and play because it's a great game for seniors and anyone can pick it up. The sport has an easy learning curve, so we encourage people to come at least 10 times, because if they come out 10 times, they'll pick it up enough that they can compete."

Daryel Jenks, 63, of Rochester, N.Y., was introduced to the game by his neighbor three years ago and has been playing ever since. He enjoys picking up his paddle at the New Port Richey rec center when he's in town on vacation.

"One of the things I really enjoy about playing is the people," Jenks said. "My method of working out before this was going to work installing sprinkler systems, so this is a lot more fun. I love the exercise this provides. I played a little tennis when I was younger, but at my age just coming out here and being able to move around like this and get it done means a lot."

Jenks played in a small tournament Saturday with his good friend and doubles partner Larry Mitchell, 60, of Palm Harbor. Mitchell has little experience in the sport, but thanks to Jenks and games at the aquatic center, he is coming around to playing regularly.

"I played baseball for years, but this is a better workout," Mitchell said. "I had never heard of it, but a Daryel (Jenks) introduced me to it and now I play three or four times per week. I travel up north sometimes and look for people to play with, but it seems like a lot of people haven't heard of it. Hopefully, it eventually gets as popular as it is down here."

ALSO IN THIS SECTION

1. Plant City QB Makenzie Kennedy threw three touchdowns in the Hillsborough County Senior All-star Game at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday night. [CHUCK FRYE  |  Special to the Times]
    The East has now won five straight in the senior showcase.
  2. President Donald Trump flips the coin before the start of the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019. [JACQUELYN MARTIN  |  AP]
    With President Donald Trump on hand, quarterback Malcolm Perry puts on a record performance for the Midshipmen, rushing for 304 yards and 2 TDs.
  3. Joe Burrow poses with his trophy in New York after joining Billy Cannon (1959) as LSU Heisman winners. [JASON SZENES  |  AP]
    The quarterback dominates the voting in a record landslide.
  4. In this Dec. 7, 2019, file photo, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (9) warms up before the SEC championship game against Georgia, in Atlanta. [JOHN BAZEMORE  |  AP]
    Matt Baker put two defensive linemen on his ballot, but neither could top the LSU star quarterback.
  5. Tampa Bay Lightning right wing Nikita Kucherov (86) on the ice before a face off during the final minutes against the Minnesota Wild during third period action at Amalie Arena on Thursday, Dec. 5, 2019 in Tampa. The Lightning lost with a final score of 5-4.  [DIRK SHADD  |  Tampa Bay Times]
    Last year’s Hart Trophy winner missed a game earlier this season with a lower-body injury
  6. Bucs travel to Detroit and more sports on the air.
  7. Yesterday• Florida State Seminoles
    Florida State Seminoles running back Cam Akers (3) celebrates his first quarter touchdown during the Florida State Seminoles game against the Boise State Broncos at Doak Campbell Stadium on August 31, 2019 in Tallahassee, Florida.  [MONICA HERNDON  |  Tampa Bay Times]
    With decent blocking, Akers could have been an All-American. Instead his legacy will be saving FSU repeatedly during a rough stretch.
  8. Japan's Yoshitomo Tsutsugo rounds bases after hitting a solo home run off Israel's pitcher Dylan Axelrod during the sixth inning of their second round game of the World Baseball Classic at Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Wednesday, March 15, 2017. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi) [SHIZUO KAMBAYASHI  |  AP]
    Rays Tales | For one, the lineup is a bit too left-handed. For another, they need more flexibility. Also, more on Sternberg, and rumblings.
  9. Lightning coach Jon Cooper, left, said Andrei Vasilevskiy will start in goal for the Lightning Saturday night against Washington at Amalie Arena. [DIRK SHADD  |  Times]
    Braydon Coburn returned to the ice, but there’s no update on Tyler Johnson
  10. Peyton Manning threw 26 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions in 2001, his age-25 season. Jameis Winston has thrown 26 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions through 13 games this season, which is his age-25 season. What does it mean? Probably nothing. [KEVIN RIVOLI  |  Associated Press]
    Reality check: Manning’s 2001 was superior to Winston’s 2019, mainly because it’s easier to play quarterback in today’s NFL.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement