GAINESVILLE — The Florida Gators appear to have gotten some clarity on their 2020 quarterback room Monday when starter Kyle Trask said he has no plans to leave after the season.
“I still have a whole 'nother year here,” Trask said, “so I don't plan on leaving.”
The context: UF coaches spent some time last week chatting with draft-eligible players about the possibility of leaving for the NFL and what questions they might have. Trask, a redshirt junior, was asked about those conversations, and he replied by saying he had another year left.
Trask was the least likely of UF’s three current scholarship quarterbacks to leave. If he wanted to go, he would have done so already, potentially after graduating in August and being relegated to a backup, again.
But the Texas native stuck around, and his patience was rewarded when he took over as UF’s starter because of Feleipe Franks’ season-ending ankle injury. Since then, Trask is 179-of-269 for 2,253 yards and 20 passing touchdowns. Trask, Tim Tebow and Chris Leak are the only UF passers since 2003 to throw for at least 300 yards in multiple games in the same season.
Assuming Trask does indeed return, he will have competition for the starting job, again. Redshirt freshmen Emory Jones will have eligibility left, as will Franks. The transfer portal and the possibility of Franks entering the NFL draft (or using his baseball option with the Red Sox) will make for an intriguing quarterback competition heading into 2020.