Advertisement
  1. Sports
  2. /
  3. Rays

Two Red Sox prospects confined over coronavirus concerns

The team is using “an overabundance of caution” at spring training in Fort Myers, it says.
Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Darwinzon Hernandez (63) throws after reporting for spring training baseball camp Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020, in Fort Myers, Fla. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)
Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Darwinzon Hernandez (63) throws after reporting for spring training baseball camp Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020, in Fort Myers, Fla. (AP Photo/John Bazemore) [ JOHN BAZEMORE | AP ]
Published Feb. 27, 2020

Two Red Sox prospects from Taiwan have been confined at spring training in Fort Myers because of concerns about the coronavirus outbreak.

The Red Sox are using “an overabundance of caution” with 20-year-old pitcher Chih-Jung Liu, a Red Sox spokesperson told the Boston Globe.

Liu flew from Taipei to San Francisco last week, then to Fort Myers, where he was supposed to join the rest of the team at spring training, the Globe reported. Instead, he has been confined mainly to a hotel room, the newspaper said.

Liu wrote on Facebook that he’s receiving three meals a day and spending his time lifting weights, going for an occasional run, learning about the Red Sox online and reading, the Globe said.

Liu is being monitored by the Red Sox’s medical staff and is expected to be able to report for minor-league player physicals Saturday, CNN reported.

Infielder Tzu-Wei Lin, also from Taiwan, told the Globe that he, too, was briefly quarantined.

“I had been here for a week and they said I needed to go back to my apartment,” Lin said. “I was fine. I stayed away for one day, and that was it.”

More than 81,245 coronavirus cases have been confirmed worldwide, according to Johns Hopkins University. Most of the cases have occurred in Asia but only 32 in Taiwan; there have been 57 confirmed cases in the United States.

Major League Baseball and the Players Association had yet to comment on the Red Sox matter Wednesday.