While doing their usual roster churn of dumping some veterans, the Rays have been more focused on winning now, even trading prospects for veterans. Here’s a look at their major additions over the past two offseasons:
• Acquired catcher Mike Zunino, outfielder Guillermo Heredia and minor-league left-handed pitcher Michael Plassmeyer from Seattle for centerfielder Mallex Smith and minor-league outfielder Jake Fraley.
• Signed right-handed pitcher Charlie Morton for two years, $30 million, with 2021 option.
• Acquired infielder Yandy Diaz and minor-league right-handed pitcher Cole Sulser from Cleveland for first baseman Jake Bauers and $5 million.
• Acquired right-handed pitcher Emilio Pagan, minor-league righty Rollie Lacy and a competitive balance draft pick in three-team deal with Texas and Oakland for minor-league left-handed pitchers Kyle Bird and Brock Burke and righty Yoel Espinal.
• Signed outfielder Avisail Garcia for one year, $3.5 million plus incentives.
• Acquired right-handed pitchers Nick Anderson and Trevor Richards from Miami for righty Ryne Stanek and minor-league outfielder Jesus Sanchez.
• Re-signed catcher Mike Zunino for one year, $4.5 million with a 2021 option
• Acquired outfielder Hunter Renfroe and minor-league infielders Xavier Edwards and Esteban Quiroz from San Diego for outfielder Tommy Pham and minor-league infielder Jake Cronenworth.
• Signed outfielder Yoshi Tsutsugo for two years, $12 million.
• Acquired first baseman Jose Martinez, leftfielder Randy Arozarena and a competitive balance draft pick for minor-league left-handed pitcher Matthew Liberatore, catcher Edgardo Rodriguez and a low A competitive balance draft pick.
• Acquired centerfielder Manuel Margot and minor-league catcher Logan Driscoll from Padres for right-handed pitcher Emilio Pagan.