Today: vs. Blue Jays
3:10, Tropicana Field
TV/radio: Fox Sports Sun; 95.3-FM, 96.1-FM (Spanish)
Rays info: 1-888-326-7297
RAYS: LH Ryan Yarbrough (11-6, 4.13 in 2019)
JAYS: RH Matt Shoemaker (3-0, 1.57 in 2019)
Rays: Yarbrough earned a much-desired spot in the rotation to start the season after being used behind an opener for much of 2018-19. His 27 wins during that span are a team record for a pitcher’s first two seasons. Is 6-1, 2.45 vs. Blue Jays in nine games.
Jays: Shoemaker joined the Jays last year from the Angels but made only five starts, sustaining a season-ending knee injury on April 20 at Oakland. Last faced Rays in 2017; is 4-0, 1.90 in four starts against them.
Sunday: vs. Blue Jays, 1:10. Rays, LH Blake Snell (6-8, 4.29); Jays, TBA
Monday: vs. Braves, 6:40. Rays, RH Tyler Glasnow (6-1, 1.78); Braves, TBA
Tuesday: vs. Braves, 6:40. Rays, TBA; Braves, TBA
Wednesday: at Braves, 7:10. Rays, TBA; Braves, TBA
Thursday: at Braves, 7:10. Rays, TBA; Braves, TBA
Friday: at Orioles, 7:35. Rays, TBA; Orioles, TBA
LH Colin Poche, left elbow ligament tear, 45-day, out for season
OF Austin Meadows, positive COVID-19 test, return TBA
OF Randy Arozarena*, positive COVID-19 test, return TBA
* Minor-league injured list
RH Diego Castillo
Some of what’s different in 2020
• The season has been shortened to 60 games, about 37 percent of the usual 162-game slate.
• Teams are playing only against their division and the corresponding geographical division in the other league, so for Rays AL and NL East.
• Rosters will have 30 players to start the season, then be reduced after two weeks to 28 and two more weeks to 26, the original planned limit.
• Fans are not allowed in the Trop, at least at the start of the season. There are plans, depending on the coronavirus situation, to host 5,000-7,000 a game later in the season.
• Fake fan noise, created from recordings of actual crowds and adapted for, then from, the MLB The Show video game will be played, along with more music and sound effects.
• Most weekday home games start at 6:40 p.m., moved up from 7:10 as in the past. All 60 games will be shown by Fox Sports Sun.
• For extra-inning games, each team will start with a runner on second base. The runner is the batter who made the last out of the previous inning or a pinch-runner.
• All pitchers must face a minimum of three batters, expect for injury or illness.
• The designated hitter will be used in both leagues.
• Injured list stays are 10 days for all players (shortened from 15 for pitchers), and the long-term list is 45 days, down from 60.
• Games halted due to weather before becoming official will be resumed at a later date, not started over.