Tonight: at Orioles
7:35, Oriole Park at Camden Yards
TV/radio: Fox Sports Sun; 95.3-FM/620-AM, 96.1 (Spanish)
Rays info: 1-888-326-7297
RAYS: RH Tyler Glasnow (0-0, 2.25)
ORIOLES: LH Wade LeBlanc (1-0, 6.35)
Rays: Glasnow struck out nine batters in four innings in his 2020 debut Monday against Atlanta, the only run he allowed coming on a solo homer by Dansby Swanson. The Braves put just four balls in play. Glasnow overcame a high pitch count early to get through four frames (and 72 pitches). He said he anticipated a pitch count Saturday of about 85.
Orioles: LeBlanc, a 35-year-old journeyman with parts of 12 seasons of major-league experience, made the Orioles rotation after joining the team as a non-roster signee. He earned the win in his debut despite allowing two homers and four runs over 5-2/3 innings in a 7-4 win over the Red Sox. LeBlanc has a five-pitch mix but relies mainly on a changeup-cutter combination, and he gets a lot of swings and misses from his changeup.
Sunday: at Baltimore, 1:05. Rays, RH Yonny Chirinos; Orioles, TBA
Tuesday: vs. Red Sox, 6:40. Rays, TBA; Red Sox, TBA
Wednesday: vs. Red Sox, 6:40. Rays, TBA; Red Sox, TBA
Thursday: vs. Yankees, 6:40. Rays, TBA; Yankees, TBA
Friday: vs. Yankees, 6:40. Rays, TBA; Yankees, TBA
LH Colin Poche, Tommy John surgery, 45-day, out for season
OF Austin Meadows, positive COVID-19 test, on rehab assignment
OF Randy Arozarena*, positive COVID-19 test, on rehab assignment
* Minor-league injured list
Pitchers (16): LH Jose Alvarado, RH Nick Anderson, LH Jalen Beeks, RH Diego Castillo, RH Yonny Chirinos, RH Oliver Drake, RH Pete Fairbanks, RH Tyler Glasnow, RH Andrew Kittredge, LH Aaron Loup, RH Charlie Morton, RH Trevor Richards, RH Chaz Roe, LH Blake Snell, RH Ryan Thompson, LH Ryan Yarbrough
Catchers (3): Michael Perez, Kevan Smith, Mike Zunino
Infielders (7): Willy Adames, Mike Brosseau, Ji-Man Choi, Yandy Diaz, Brandon Lowe, Jose Martinez, Joey Wendle
Outfielders (4): Kevin Kiermaier, Manuel Margot, Hunter Renfroe, Yoshi Tsutsugo
Taxi squad: LH Anthony Banda, INF Daniel Robertson
* An off season
Rays shortstop Willy Adames might very well be a star in the making. He’s been great at the plate this season and is quickly becoming one of the team’s toughest outs. But after a first-inning fielding error on Friday, unable to come up with a ground ball on a wet Camden Yards infield, he has three errors in seven games. Last year, he was fifth in the AL in defensive WAR, according to Baseball Reference, and was tied for first among AL shortstops in defensive runs saved (12). In a short season, he’s going to have a tough time getting back to that defensive excellence this year.
— Eduardo A. Encina, Times staff writer
Some things different about 2020
• Season shortened to 60 games, about 37 percent of usual 162.
• Teams playing only against their division and corresponding geographical division in other league, so AL and NL East for Rays.
• Rosters have 30 players to start season, then reduced after two weeks to 28, then two more weeks to 26, the original planned limit.
• Fans not allowed inside Tropicana Field, at least at start of season. There are plans, depending on virus situation, to host 5,000-7,000 a game later in season.
• Fake fan noise, created from recordings of actual crowds and adapted for and then from MLB The Show video game, will be played, along with more music and sound effects.
Want more than just the box score?
Subscribe to our free Rays Report newsletter
You’re all signed up!
Want more of our free, weekly newsletters in your inbox? Let’s get started.Explore all your options
• Most weekday home games start at 6:40 p.m., moved up from 7:10. All games on Fox Sports Sun.
• For extra-inning games, each team will start with runner on second. The runner is the batter who made last out of previous inning or a pinch-runner.
• All pitchers must face minimum of three batters, except for injury or illness.
• DH will be used in both leagues.
• Injured list stays are 10 days for all players (shortened from 15 for pitchers), and long-term list is 45 days, down from 60.
• Games halted due to weather before becoming official will be resumed at later date, not started over.