Tonight: at Red Sox
7:30, Fenway Park, Boston
TV/radio: Fox Sports Sun; 95.3-FM, 620-AM, 680-AM (Spanish)
Rays info: 1-888-326-7297
RAYS: RH Andrew Kittredge (0-0, 2.35)
RED SOX: LH Martin Perez (2-1, 3.45)
Rays: Kittredge will open Tuesday’s game after closing out Monday’s 8-7 win over Boston by getting the final two outs. This will be his first opening opportunity this season, but he’s made 10 career starts over the previous two seasons. He opened seven times last season, and allowed runs in five of those outings, pitching to a 6.94 ERA. So far this season, he’s been great. Kittredge hasn’t allowed a run over his past five outings spanning 5 1/3 innings and is holding opponents to a .125 batting average.
Red Sox: The Rays haven’t had much success against lefties, going 1-5 against left-handed starters this season. In his most recent outing, Perez held the Rays scoreless through five innings on Wednesday, allowing just four hits with four strikeouts and three walks. Over his past two starts, Perez has allowed two earned runs over 10 2/3 innings. Over his career, Perez is 1-4 with a 6.10 ERA in 11 games (nine starts) against the Rays.
Wednesday: at Red Sox, 7:30. Rays, LH Blake Snell (0-0, 3.38); Red Sox, TBA
Thursday: at Red Sox, 4:30. Rays, RH Tyler Glasnow (0-1, 5.56); Red Sox, RH Zack Godley (0-1, 3.97)
Friday: at Blue Jays (Buffalo), 6:37. Rays, TBA; Jays, TBA
Saturday: at Blue Jays (Buffalo), 6:37. Rays, LH Ryan Yarbrough (0-2, 3.78); Jays, TBA
Sunday: at Blue Jays (Buffalo), 3:07. Rays, TBA; Jays, TBA
• RH Charlie Morton, right shoulder inflammation, eligible Aug. 20
• RH Oliver Drake, biceps tendinitis, 10-day, eligible Aug. 19
• RH Yonny Chirinos, triceps inflammation, 10-day, eligible Aug. 13
• LH Colin Poche, Tommy John surgery, 45-day, out for season
• OF Randy Arozarena*, positive COVID-19 test, on rehab assignment
* Minor-league injured list
Pitchers (14): LH Jose Alvarado, RH Nick Anderson, LH Jalen Beeks, RH Diego Castillo, RH John Curtiss, RH Pete Fairbanks, RH Tyler Glasnow, RH Andrew Kittredge, LH Aaron Loup, RH Trevor Richards, RH Chaz Roe, LH Blake Snell, RH Ryan Thompson, LH Ryan Yarbrough
Catchers (2): Michael Perez, Mike Zunino
Infielders (7): Willy Adames, Mike Brosseau, Ji-Man Choi, Yandy Diaz, Brandon Lowe, Jose Martinez, Joey Wendle
Outfielders (5): Kevin Kiermaier, Austin Meadows, Manuel Margot, Hunter Renfroe, Yoshi Tsutsugo
Some things different about 2020
• Season shortened to 60 games, about 37 percent of usual 162.
• Teams playing only against their division and corresponding geographical division in other league, so for Rays, AL and NL East.
• Doubleheaders games are seven innings rather than nine.
• Rosters were 30 players to start season, but were reduced to 28 and will stay at 28 through the postseason.
• Fans not allowed in Trop, at least at start of season. There are plans, depending on virus situation, to host 5,000-7,000 a game later in season.
• Fake fan noise, created from recordings of actual crowds and adapted for and then from MLB The Show video game, will be played, along with more music and sound effects.
• Most weekday home games start at 6:40 p.m., moved up from 7:10. All games on Fox Sports Sun.
• For extra-inning games, each team will start with runner on second. The runner is the batter who made last out of previous inning or a pinch-runner.
• All pitchers must face minimum of three batters, except for injury or illness.
• DH will be used in both leagues.
• Injured list stays are 10 days for all players (shortened from 15 for pitchers), and long-term list is 45 days, down from 60.
• Games halted due to weather before becoming official will be resumed at later date, not started over.