You may think selfies are annoying, but selfie sticks (a pole that allows you to hold the camera at a further distance for a more natural photograph) seem to be hated even more lately. But not by the Tampa Bay Rays. The team is giving away selfie sticks with Social Media Night ticket packages on Saturday, one of a number of creative ticket packages lined up this season.
If you buy a $29 special event ticket at tampabay.rays.mlb.com before Saturday's game you get a seat in the lower level and a Rays selfie stick. There will be special social media contests and you may be featured on the video board during the game. Groups of 10 can save on fees and receive preferred seating by calling (727) 825-3406 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you've already purchased tickets to Saturday's game and would like to participate in the Social Media Night, you can upgrade your ticket by calling (727) 825-3209.
But will the Rays live to regret this one? Other organizations, like Disney, have banned selfie sticks. Disney nixed the sticks at its theme parks apparently because their use posed risks to users and other guests.
The Rays are famous for quirky giveaways like the creepy Don Zimmer Zim Bear or the Joe Maddon Mr. Potato Head, and this season that is expanding to some creative ticket packages. You can get a Han Longo (that's a Han Solo-Evan Longoria crossover) bobblehead for Star Wars Night on Sept. 12. Or take a pre-game yoga class on the field for Yoga Night on Aug. 29 . And Star Trek Night on Aug. 28 brings with it a special foam finger that would make Mr. Spock proud.
Here's the lineup of special ticket packages coming this season:
• USF Night, July 25: A seat in the lower level and a Rays USF Tumbler. Stay after the game and see country star Kacey Musgraves in concert. $38.
• Chop at the Trop, July 26: Seminole fans get a seat in the lower level and an exclusive Rays hat in FSU colors of black, garnet, and gold. $38.
• Chomp at the Trop, Aug. 8: Gator fans get a seat in the lower level and an exclusive Rays hat in UF colors of white, orange and blue hat. $38.
• Healthcare Professional Night, Aug. 8: For healthcare professionals seated seat in the Press Level and a Rays retro scrub top. $35.
• Clearwater Day, Aug. 9: Celebrate Clearwater's centennial in the lower level and get a Rays hat. $25.
• UCF Day, Aug. 9: Knights fans get a seat in the lower level and a Rays Hat in UCF colors. $38.
• Star Trek Night, Aug. 28: Press Level seats and a special edition Star Trek Foam Finger. $25.
• Tennis Day, Aug. 29: Lower level seats. $25.
• Yoga Day at the Trop, Aug. 29: Lower level seats and a pre-game yoga class on the field. $40.
• Heroes Day, Sept. 11: Lower level seats and a commemorative Rays Heroes Day hat. Come early for a special pre-game presentation honoring local EMT, police, fire rescue, military, and other emergency service organizations. $35.
• Star Wars Night, Sept. 12: Press Level seats and a limited edition Han Longo Bobblehead. $39.
• Dog Day at the Rays II, Sept. 20: Bring your puppy pal to game in the tbt* Party Deck and get a dog-themed item. $30 for human and dog, $25 for extra humans.
• Zombie Night, Oct. 2: Seats in the tbt* Party Deck and a Zombie Night shirt with themed activities in the ballpark. $25. 727-825-3406 or email email@example.com.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow @SharonKWn.