This recipe was born out of desperation, when I came home to an empty fridge and an even emptier stomach. I snacked on it and a few other things as my dinner, before discovering it's also a perfect movie-night snack. Feel free to spice it up with some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes added just before eating.
Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- ½ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup minced green onions, green and white parts mixed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan
- Place olive oil in a large pot and set on the stove over medium-high heat. Allow the oil to heat up, and about 5 minutes in, test if it's hot enough by placing a single popcorn kernel in the pot. If it sizzles and then begins to pop, go ahead and add the rest of the kernels. If not, let the oil get a bit warmer.
- Cover pot with a lid. Kernels will begin to pop pretty rapidly and all at once. Shake the pot slightly to make sure no kernels are stuck to the bottom. Once the popping slows down dramatically, take the pot off the heat and dump popcorn into a large bowl. Set aside while you prepare the sour cream sauce.
- In a small bowl, place sour cream or Greek yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Drizzle sauce over popcorn, careful to distribute it evenly. Use your hands or a large spoon to mix until the popcorn is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Season the popcorn with garlic powder and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with green onions, chives and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately, preferably during a cozy movie night on your couch. Serves 1, 2 if you feel like sharing.
Source: Michelle Stark, Tampa Bay Times