A cold front is bringing Tampa Bay its coldest Christmas in two decades. The homeless and those without heat will need a warm place to stay as Friday temperatures dip into the 30s. If you need help, here’s how to get it:
Those who need a shelter from the cold should contact Jericho Road Ministries. Social distancing and personal protective equipment (especially masks) will be used to keep those inside safe. Both the men’s and women’s shelters are in Brooksville:
- Men’s shelter: 1090 Mondon Hill Road. Call: 352-799-2912, ext. 103
- Women’s shelter: 1163 Howell Ave. Call: 352-799-2912, ext. 109
Amazing Love Ministries will open a cold weather shelter in Tampa starting Thursday night and is set to keep it open Friday and Saturday night.
- Cold shelter: 3304 E Columbus Drive in Tampa. Opens each each night at 6 p.m.
Metropolitan Ministries is offering a limited number of vouchers to pay for a three-night stay at a motel, but the deadline to pre-register is Thursday at 5 p.m.
- Families and individuals should call 813-209-1176.
- Plant City residents should call 813-652-8144.
Pasco officials and its partners will open cold weather shelters in the eastern and western parts of the county. They will open Friday for Christmas Night and close Saturday at 8 a.m. To make arrangements, call in advance.
- East Pasco: Call Restored Hope at 352-437-4815 before 6 p.m. Friday.
- West Pasco: Call Metropolitan Ministries at 813-209-4860 before 8 p.m. Friday.
The Homeless Leadership Board and United Methodist Cooperative Ministries/Suncoast, Inc. are set to open cold weather Shelters Friday and Saturday nights. Shelters will be open from 7 p.m. through 6 a.m. Expect temperature checks, social distancing, masks and sanitizer.
Families with children who need access to a family shelter should call Tampa Bay Cares, Inc. at 2-1-1 for help. These are the adult shelters:
- CLEARWATER: Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 1201 Douglas Ave. Opens at 8 p.m. Call 813-951-5632.
- PINELLAS PARK: Boy and Girls Club of the Suncoast, 7709 61st St. N. Call: 727-547-5437.
- ST. PETERSBURG: Northwest Presbyterian Church, 6330 54th Ave. N. Call: 727-544-4551.
- ST. PETERSBURG: The Turning Point, 1810 Fifth Ave. N. Call: 727-823-7811.
- ST. PETERSBURG: Salvation Army, 1400 Fourth St. S. Call: 727-822-4954.
- TARPON SPRINGS: Boys and Girls Club of Tarpon Springs, 111 W Lime St. Call: 727-937-6837.