Advertisement
  1. Local Weather

Tampa Bay weather will be typical for July this week: hot and rainy

Highs will top out in the lower 90s, according to Spectrum Bay News 9.
Tampa Bay will continue to be wet and hot for the next week, much like it was last August when Bryshere Johnson, then 2, laughed as he discovered Dell Homes Park's splash area.
Tampa Bay will continue to be wet and hot for the next week, much like it was last August when Bryshere Johnson, then 2, laughed as he discovered Dell Homes Park's splash area. [ JOHN PENDYGRAFT | Times ]
Published Jul. 20

Tampa Bay will continue to be wet and hot for the next week.

That means our region will have its typical July weather through Monday, according to Spectrum Bay News 9′s Nick Merianos. His forecast calls for rain chances around 50 percent each day with high temperatures between 88 and 92.

The driest day of the week could also be the hottest, with a high of 92 and a 30 percent rain chance on Thursday. The high for Wednesday will also be 92 with a 40 percent chance of rain. Friday will have a 40 percent chance of rain and a high of 90, followed by a 50 and 60 percent chance of rain Saturday and Sunday.

A slightly lower chance of rain is expected Thursday because of an area of dry air entering the region. That dry air will be short-lived, however, as a small cold front will bring rain chances to at least 50 percent again by the weekend, Merianos said.

The low for each day ranges from 77 to 79, according to Merianos.

“Thursday will be an easier day for outdoor planning because there won’t be as many showers around,” Merianos said. “The moisture will still be to our north on Thursday, but, by Friday and into Saturday and Sunday, a deep moisture comes down to us and higher rain chances will come with it.”

How does this week’s forecast compare to our July averages? They’re almost identical.

Related: Rainy season is coming, Tampa Bay. Here’s the official start date

The average high for July in Tampa Bay is 90 and the average low is 79. The rain is typical, too. As seasoned Tampa Bay residents already know, July is in the heart of Tampa Bay’s rainy season, which runs from May 25 to Oct. 10. The month has an average of 6.49 inches of rainfall, trailing only August (7.6 inches) and September (6.54) for average total rainfall.

A part of the reason rain totals are slightly higher for August and September is because they are the peak months of hurricane season — where even one storm can drop a month’s worth of rain in a single day in the Sunshine State. Despite Hurricane Elsa’s close call with Tampa Bay at the beginning of July, the National Hurricane Center was not monitoring any potential tropical systems as of Tuesday afternoon.