Advertisement
  1. Local Weather

Flood watch remains in place for Tampa Bay through Thursday evening

The rain won’t be excessive today, but any moisture will put certain areas at risk after heavy downpours Tuesday and Wednesday.
A car moves through a flooded area on Flora Avenue in Holiday on Wednesday after a heavy downpour inundated the area. More flooding is expected Thursday throughout Tampa Bay after a week of heavy rains in the region.
A car moves through a flooded area on Flora Avenue in Holiday on Wednesday after a heavy downpour inundated the area. More flooding is expected Thursday throughout Tampa Bay after a week of heavy rains in the region. [ DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times ]
Published Aug. 5

Tampa Bay was pounded with heavy showers to start the week. Now, parts of the region, particularly to the north, are at risk for flooding Thursday even as the rain dissipates.

The National Weather Service’s Ruskin office has issued a flood warning for Citrus, Hernando and Pasco counties until noon Thursday while a flood watch will remain in place there until 8 p.m. Pinellas and Hillsborough counties are also under a flood watch during the same time frame.

Thursday will still be rainy, but not like the 8 inches fell that fell in a two-day span in Citrus County, said Amanda Lee, a meteorologist with the Weather Service.

Instead, flood advisories have been issued because the ground is already saturated and local river levels have risen. That means any rain — even it’s just typical summer showers — could cause flooding. Some areas of the region, including Tampa, experienced significant street flooding Wednesday afternoon.

The Weather Service’s forecast gives Tampa Bay an 80 percent chance of rain Thursday morning and afternoon followed by a 20 percent chance in the evening. Lee says normal weather patterns will be back in place by the weekend, with afternoon showers and highs above 90.